Perfect knife sharpening rod
For the perfect selection of the sharpening rod there is a very easy rule:
- Low grain size: very dull knives / blunt knives
- High grain size: for regular sharpening of the blade / fine-grinding
The best sharpening rod:
- Blue ceramic (F360/J800) is for sharpening blunt knives
- White ceramic (F1000/J3000) is for re-sharpening and keeping it sharp
- The Duo sharpening rod is a combination of blue and white ceramic (patent holder is Udo Rieser)
- Grit sizes from F1300/4200 upwards are suitable for sharpening extremely hard knives
- Sharpening Rods with a polished finish are preferred by cooks for daily use.
In 2007 IOXIO launched the world's first ceramic duo sharping rod which combines two different grains in one rod. Sharpening and finishing have been possible since then with a single ceramic rod.
Definition of grain size
Abrasives are indicated in FEPA or JIS, depending on the region.
Both grain data cannot be treated 1:1.
We decide between:
European Norm F: FEPA
(Fédération Européenne des Fabricants de Produits Abrasifs)
Japanease Norm J: JIS
(Japanese Industrial Standard)
The grain size of the ceramic swell denotes the degree of fineness of the IOXIO rod, i.e. how high the amount of grain per square centimetre is. The higher the value, the lower the grinding effect of the wetz rod and the finer the wetz rod.ab.
Our IOXIO ceramic rods are available in different grains from F360/J800 to F1300/J4000..